Applying a deck stain or solid colour is easy with help from Quantum Timber Finishes.
Get the highest quality results from your deck by following these simple steps.
1. Before applying your chosen stain or solid colour, make sure your deck has been cleaned properly. (Refer to Preparing to Stain your Deck for further information). Sprinkle some water on the deck. If droplets sink in, the wood is ready to be stained.
2. Working with the wood grain, apply an even coat of stain or solid colour using a brush or applicator. If available, you may also use a roller to first apply the stain or solid colour, then work it into the wood with your brush. Start by working in smaller sections to avoid lap marking and the product drying to quickly.
3. For best results, avoid staining at midday or in direct sunlight. If a second coat is required, generally wait four hours between applications. (Refer to the relevant product datasheets or labels for recoat times).
4. Depending on the temperature and humidity, allow 24-48 hours of dry time before using your beautifully restored deck. (Refer to product datasheet for dry times or label).
Maintaining your deck will ensure the oil finish lasts longer, meaning you will not have to re-oil your deck as frequently. Start by:
1. Regularly sweeping your deck clean. Give your deck a good brush to help keep the surface free from dirt, mud, soil, leaves and other decking contaminates.
2. Wash the deck. Washing your deck will minimise any build-up of moss, mould or algae regrowth.
3. Look for signs of tattiness. Refinish or retouch your deck with your chosen Quantum decking product when it starts looking tatty or worn. This will help prevent damage to the timber before it starts to happen.
Following these easy steps will ensure you spend more time enjoying your deck over the spring/summer months. Click here to view our range of decking products.